SOFT TISSUE MOBILIZATION
Soft Tissue Mobilization
Soft tissue mobilization is a form of manual physical therapy where your licensed physical therapist uses hands-on techniques on your muscles, ligaments and fascia with the goal of breaking adhesions and optimizing your muscle function.
- Adhesions are your body’s attempt to heal a soft tissue injury with a lengthy inflammation process, resulting in long strands of collagenous scar tissue. These new tissues pull against one another, forming trigger points of pain.
- Break down or reduce adhesions
- Improve range of motion
- Lengthen muscles and tendons
- Reduce swelling and edema
- Decrease pain
- Restore functionality
- Soft Tissue Mobilization Techniques
- Sustained pressure – pushing directly on the restricted tissue and holding
- Unlocking spiral – pushing on the restricted tissue in alternating clockwise and counterclockwise rotating motions
- Direct oscillations – rhythmic pushing on the restricted tissue
- Perpendicular mobilization – pushing on the myofascial tissue at right angles
- Parallel mobilization – pushing along the seams of muscles
- Perpendicular strumming – rhythmic pushing along muscle border, followed by rubber of top of muscle
- Friction massage – pushing across the grain of the muscles, tendons and ligaments
- Soft tissue mobilization can help relieve pain and improve function.
- Do your home exercises faithfully
- Maintain a normal body weight
- Get regular aerobic exercise
- Engage in weight training, as directed by your physician
Goals of Soft Tissue Mobilization:
Your licensed PT is specially trained to use his or her hands to push, pull and knead your muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves in precise ways to help bring you pain relief and return you to functionality.
Specific techniques for soft tissue mobilization include:
To help achieve optimal results with soft tissue mobilization, we encourage you to:
Being able to implement soft tissue mobilization techniques requires a significant amount of training in human anatomy and physiology and understand how manipulating the tissues will impact physical function. Physical therapists specialize in evaluation, assessment and treatment of movement function disorders. Soft tissue mobilization is just one of the strategies that we use to help our patients meet their functional goals.
If you have any strains, sprains, or questions about the techniques used in soft tissue mobilization, give us a call!
Find out if Soft Tissue Mobilization is right for you. Schedule an appointment today.
Love working with Andrea. She is extremely knowledgeable in what she does and takes time to really listen to what is causing pain. I have seen a huge improvement! Wonderful for prenatal and postpartum!Mackenzie Ivey5/28/2019
If in fact you have a fall, accident or other problemTHIS IS THE PLACE TO GET HELP. I found Andrea Baker, Arch & Jesse to be excellent in their work & the ultimate professionals at all times. Strain and counterstrain technique was new to me. This treatment was very effective, they also gave me physical therapy exercises to do at home which helped the process of recovery. I would highly recommend this office for Physical Therapy. The environment was bright and cheerful & clean. Everyone made working on recovery a real good experience. Thank you for your help.Rae Baker5/27/2019
The therapists really care about their patients. They take the time to research and trouble shoot the issues and adjust treatment as needed. Their techniques are not what mainstream would describe as "physical therapy" but it's an amazing and precise science that really works!! Thanks to the whole team for treating my ailments over the years.Ami Veltrie5/28/2019
Always courteous and friendly people. The staff has worked with me on various injuries - knee, hip, foot and low back. Because of their partnership, I remain very active and am getting stronger every day. A healing atmosphere with a fun vibe.nicolette brant5/28/2019
The office staff are very welcoming and the 2 therapists I've seen are excellent. I really like the strain/counter strain modality they use. I've experience a lot of physical therapy and my results are much better with this technique. They also make use of the BEMER technology for increased circulation/blood flow to support treatment results.Elizabeth Pike5/28/2019
Andrea is amazing! I have been working with her to treat my chronic migraines for six months now. She is one of the only people who have made a noticeable difference for me. And I’ve tried everything. She is so friendly and helpful. She goes out of her way to work with you and your issues. The whole DB Team is wonderful. I can’t recommend them enough.The Beef5/08/2019